Police recounts events that led MUK Student’s death: Private Guards not LDUs killed Emmanuel Tegu

Uganda Police Spokesperson CP Fred Enanga; Courtesy Photo.

Four suspects including a private security guard have been charged with the murder of Emmanuel Tegu, a third year Veterinary student at Makerere University who was brutally assaulted on Friday last week, leading to his death.

The suspects, Oigu Charles; a 34 year old Area Councillor , Nyeko Balaam, a 33 year old security guard, Kakuru Johnson; a 24 year old resident of Makerere and Sekitoleko Moses, a 21 year old resident of Makerere were charged at LDC Court on Thursday, for Tegu’s murder.

Findings in the report by the Police Task Team investigating the murder indicate that Emmanuel Tegu, (24) was violently beaten on the 27th June 2020, and sustained life-threatening injuries, which led to his death on 3rd July 2020 at Mulago Hospital, Kiruddu.

According to police, the actions of the suspects were supported by the postmortem report which revealed the cause of death as blunt force trauma, due to open wounds along the back, multiple cane marks on the back of the right elbow and abrasions along the abdomen and the entire back of the victim.

On the fateful day, Police says, Tegu left his sister Racheal Ariongeti’s home at Namungoona where he also stayed with his brother Sam Okwalinga, and proceeded to his Church at Makerere. He however did not return home, but in the evening at around 10:00PM, he was found behind the building near a water tank by PC Musoke Farouk who was on routine patrol.

When the officer attempted to inquire about what Tegu was doing out in the cold, Tegu appeared erratic and responded by throwing stones at the officer who responded by firing in the air -according to police. Tegu kept charging at the officer forcing him to withdraw and communicate to his supervisor.

Tegu ran towards St. Augustine Church (Makerere) and Centenary Bank, where he charged at three private security guards but was overpowered. The guards hit him with metalic chairs from the visitor’s tent, and he cried out for help which attracyted about 10 -15 residents from Zone 1 and West road quaters around Lumumba Hall.

Among the respondents were a few youths who joined the private security guards and violently assaulted the victim whom they suspected to be a thief.

It was after the intervention of the Chaplain of St. Augustine Church that the private guards and the few charged residents stopped torturing Tegu and alerted the police. The police team responded and rushed the victim to Mulago National Refferal Hospital.

The following day of 28, June 2020, he was traced at the hospital by his brother and discharged the next day on 29th June 2020.

While at home, Tegu’s condition started deteriorating and he was taken to his personal doctor at Mild May Clinic, Sseguku on 30, July 2020.

Dr Arinda Anita who was treating his Bipolar condition since 2018 reffered them to a specialist at Rubaga Hospital to check if he had a kidney problem since he was not passing urine. He was later reffered to Mulago refferal Hospital Kiruddu where he died on 3, July 2020.

The police task team has since established that about three private guards of SGA and seven others who resonded to the alarm, were behind the violent assault of the victim. The scene was reconstructed and a few key pieces of evidence including CCTV footage from St. Augustine Church, metallic chairs at the bank which were used as weapons against the victim, a wire rod and relevant witness statements were recorded.

The charges and the findings of the police dispels claims especially on social media alleging that Tegu died at the hands of Local Defense Units (LDUs).

Police says investigations are still open and they have of clues about three more suspects who are still at large.
Police also cautions the public against speculation instead of availing evidence that is crucial to the matter under inquiry.

The Inspector General of Police, Martin Okoth Ochola condemned the actions of gross misconduct by the private security guards and further tasked the Commissioner in-charge Private Firearms and Security Organizations to ensure they are all retrained and equipped with required skills on Rules of Engagement and use of reasonable force in the course of their duties.

The IGP also cautioned the public against all acts of violent behavior.

Police refuted claims that members of the force blocked the media from accessing the CCTV footage at St Augustne Church and advised that whoever needs it should liase with the Church since it is a private footage.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here