Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has extended the Nationwide curfew and cessation of Movement into and out of Nairobi Metropolitan, Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale and Mandera for another 21 days.
This means, the lockdown and the dusk-to-dawn curfew that is currently in force in Kenya will end up to 6th June 2020.
While making the announcement on Saturday, Uhuru said the Kenyan government will continue to take every measures it can to protect lives of Kenyans from the COVID-19 pandemic and to plan the recovery of the economy in post crisis period.
Kenya is maintaining its lockdown, in place since the start of April.
President Kenyatta also announced that only cargo vehicles will be allowed into the Kenyan territory on both the Kenya-Tanzania, and the Kenya-Somalia national borders. All truck drivers entering Kenya will be subjected to mandatory testing for coronavirus starting on 16th May, said Uhuru Kenyatta.
Public and social gatherings are banned, people have been encouraged to stay at home, all schools and religious centres are shut and it is compulsory for people to wear masks in public spaces.
The only easing has been to allow restaurants to resume operations but only under tight measures, including testing catering staff and implementing social-distancing measures.
Movement in and out of local districts in the capital, Nairobi, and the coastal city of Mombasa, which were reporting a high number of coronavirus cases remains restricted.
Uhuru Kenyatta said, he belives with the firmness and resolve of Kenyan citizens in keeping the enemy at bay, the grace of God will save Kenyans.
Kenya has so far registered 830 confirmed cases of coronavirus, 50 deaths and 301 recoveries.