Tanzania’s president HE Samia Hassan Suluhu will today conclude her two-day State visit to the Republic of Uganda from 10th May 2022 to 11th May 2022, on invitation from her counterpart President Yoweri Museveni.
Accompanied by Ministers and other Senior Government Officials from the United Republic of Tanzania, Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan, was received at State House, Entebbe, by President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.
On Tuesday, the two leaders held bilateral meetings in State House Entebbe and discussed matters relating to Defense and Trade relations between the two neighboring countries.
In a joint communique issued on 10th May 2022, several key issues were highlighted as matters discussed during the meeting.
1. Recalling the State Visit of His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni to the United Republic of Tanzania in November 2021, the two Heads of State directed the relevant Ministers to meet frequently to address the Non-Tariff Barriers (NTBs) and find solutions to challenges relating to trade. They
directed that these decisions be implemented within one month.
2. In the area of Marine and Road Transport, the Heads of State applauded the re-opening of the Mwanza –Port Bell-Kampala Route, which is now fully operational and has greatly reduced the transit time from Dar-es-salaam to Kampala, which now takes only four (4) days, down from the previous nine
(9) days thus reducing the cost of doing business.
3. Their Excellencies, the Presidents welcomed the commissioning of the construction of the Mutukula regional market, which will enhance trade and improve the livelihoods of citizens of Uganda and Tanzania and other countries in the region.
4. The Heads of State noted and welcomed the implementation of the East Africa Crude Oil Pipeline Project (EACOP). Her Excellency President Samia Suluhu Hassan was also briefed on the progress of the EACOP.
5. The Heads of State noted the progress made since the JPC held in January 2022 and directed their respective Ministers to implement all agreed decisions.
6. The Heads of State witnessed the signing of two (2) Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs): an Inter-governmental Memorandum of Understanding in the field of Development of the 400KV Masaka-MutukulaKyaka-Nyakanazi-Mwanza Transmission Line and a Memorandum of Understanding on Defense and Security Cooperation.
7. The Heads of State further agreed on the pathogenic economy and specifically collaboration on the development of vaccines between the two countries. It was also agreed that the United Republic of Tanzania will buy Anti Retroviral (ARVs) Drugs from Uganda.
8. Their Excellencies were further briefed on the joint cooperation on security for the East African Crude Oil Pipe Line. It was also agreed that Tanzania shall charge 10 Dollars per 100 Kilometers per truck from Mutukula to Dar es Salaaam starting Financial Year 2022/2023 effective 1st July 2022.
9. It was further agreed that Uganda shall supply 10,000 tonnes to cover the sugar gap in the United Republic of Tanzania. On education, it was agreed that Uganda shall identify a sister school in the Republic of Uganda to partner with the school in the United Republic of Tanzania, Nyabirenzi, Chato.
10. The Heads of State reiterated their support for the private sector as an economic growth and development engine. In this regard, Her Excellency President Samia Suluhu Hassan had a dialogue with the Private Sector.
11. Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and paid a visit to the Namanve Industrial Park, where Her Excellency was taken on a guided tour of Roofings Uganda Ltd.
12. The Heads of State noted the growing total trade between Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania and directed the responsible Ministers to immediately remove any outstanding Non-Tariff Barriers in order to fully harness the Uganda-Tanzania trade potential.
13. His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni expressed his gratitude to Her Excellency President Samia Suluhu Hassan for honouring his invitation and for the fruitful discussions they held.
14. Her Excellency President Samia Suluhu Hassan thanked her host, His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the Government and the People of the Republic of Uganda for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to her and her delegation during their stay in Uganda.
15. Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan extended an invitation to His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni to visit the United Republic of Tanzania on a date to be communicated through diplomatic channels.
To send a story or contact the editor, send email to [email protected] or call +256701609906