62 Allied Democratic Forces’ (ADF) rebels surrendered as the joint forces of UPDF and Congolese government army commence the second phase of military operations to secure the rebel-infested Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo -authorities said on Tuesday.
Major Peter Mugisa, the spokesperson of operation shujaa also told journalists that the Uganda People’s Defense Forces- UPDF has commenced the second phase of operation shujaa against the ADF terrorists with forces going through the Uganda-Mpondwe border post and Lubilhiha in DRC.
According to Mugisa, their decision to go through Mpondwe border post is to safeguard the Kasindi-Beni-Butembo road construction that will commence soon as well as flashing out ADF remnants scattered in the Rwenzori mountains following intense pressure from the joint UPDF and DRC forces.
According to Mugisa, the pressure pilled on the rebel forces forced 62 ADF combatants to surrender despite the fact that they are still in the hands of DRC forces.
The joint forces of Ugandan army and DRC forces (FARDC) launched the first phase of the operation in November 2021, through Bundibugyo Busunga-Mbau-Nobili-Kamago access point where they overran several ADF camps namely Kambi ya Yua, Bele I & 2 among others.
Since then, UPDF have launched several air strikes hitting camps of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) terrorists in DR Congo with others surrendering to the joint forces.
In December 2021, a joint forces captured 34 ADF terrorists, destroyed four camps and rescued 31 Congolese hostages.
In a joint statement the then UPDF spokesperson Brig. Gen. Flavia Byekwaso and Maj. Gen. Leon Richard Kansonga Cibangu of FARDC said the preliminary results of the airstrikes and artillery of November 30, 2021 shows that 31 Congolese hostages were released, 34 ADF terrorists captured and several enemy camps destroyed.