MBALE: At least 3 Die in fire after Petrol Jerrycans exploded inside the house

0
283
Residents carry a burnt body belonging to victims of the fire on Tuesday; Courtesy Photo

At least Three family members were burnt to death in a house fire at Nakaloke Town council on Mbale–Soroti road after jerrycans of petrol caught fire and razed down a house.

The incident happened on Tuesday evening at Mailo 6, Fika Salama Ward, Northern Division Mbale City.

According to the residents, the victims identified as Sowedi Impiangu, Jamal Mutoto and Wilberforce Naifuge aka Buyinza -all fuel dealers, were trapped by fire inside the house and could not escape the flames.

Another survivor only identified as Konstant Ekesa managed to escape but with almost all his body burnt. Buyinza was rushed to Mbale main referral hospital in critical condition where he is receiving medical attention.

Police said the fire which broke out on Tuesday evening started from rooms where the petrol was stored in jerrycans as they have been selling petrol in jerrycans and bottles.

It is suspected the fire originated from a charcoal stove that was burning at the verandah.

The 3 bodies of the victims burnt beyond recognition were picked by police and taken away as investigation kick off to ascertain the cause of the fire.

Residents said the victims died while trying to rescue their property and were warned some time back against handling fuel in jerrycans.

Lukiya Bbumba, one of the residents said that people should avoid the practice of keeping fuel jerrycans in residential houses, and that many youths in the area who are engaged in the business of selling fuel do so, something which poses a great danger to the locals.

<

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here