The fallen Deputy government spokesperson, Col. Shaban Bantariza has finally been laid to rest in Kagorogoro village, Mitooma District.
Bantariza’s remains were lais to rest in a scientific burial with a very limited number of mourners due to Covid19. He has been accorded full military honours with a 24 gun salute.
Col. Shaban Bantariza (57) was declared dead on Tuesday at Mulago Hospital where he had been admitted in intensive care unit (ICU) battling low blood pressure, and breathing difficulties.
Government spokesperson, Mr. Ofwono Opondo later said Shaban had tested positive for covid-19 before his death.
Over the years, Col. Shaban Bantariza held several command and staff appointments in the military. By the time of passing on, he was the Deputy Executive Director of Uganda Media Centre.
Previous command and staff appointments held include the following:
• Director/Commandant, National Leadership Institute (NALI) – Kyankwanzi (2009 – 2012)
• Commandant, Oliver Tambo Leadership School (OTLS) – Kaweweta (2008 – 2009)
• Chairman, Division Court Martial, 1 Infantry Division – Kakiri from January 2007
• Deputy Chief Political Commissariat at UPDF GHQs, Mbuya
• Defence Spokesperson, Ministry of Defence, Bombo/Mbuya (February 2002 – November 2005)
• Director of Information at UPDF GHQs, Bombo (January 1995 – January 2002)
• Administrative Officer, Anti-smuggling Unit, Uganda Revenue Authority (January 1993 – August 1994)
• Political Commissariat Instructor at Bombo Military Academy (June 1989 – December 1992)
Col. Shaban Bantariza held several ranks as listed below:
• Promoted to the rank of Col (February 2010)
• Promoted to the rank of Lt Col (21st June 2005)
• Promoted to the rank of Maj (12th March 2001)
• Promoted to the rank of Lt (29th December 1992)
• Commissioned to the rank of 2 Lt (6th February 1989)