Airtel Uganda, a giant telecommunication network service provider in Uganda has awarded the health minister, Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, for her contribution to the fight against COVID-19.
In a message she posted on her social media platform, Dr. Aceng said the award has energized her to do more.
“Iam humbled and honored to receive an award from Airtel Ug in recognition of my contribution to the fight against COVID-19 in #Uganda. This award, more-so, a day before Independence Day has re-energised me to do more” Dr. Aceng posted on her twitter account.
Aceng also noted that she received another award on behalf of frontline medical workers recognizing them for insurmountable contribution in the fight against COVID-19.
The awards come two weeks after rankings showed Uganda as the best country in Africa in terms of suppressing the Covid-19 pandemic in the month of August, according to Lancet Covid-19 Commission data. According to the rankings, Uganda is 10th out of 91 countries that were analyzed across the globe and leaving it first in Africa followed by Togo, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Nigeria.
The awards were presented to the minister on Thursday by the legal officer, Airtel Uganda Mr Denis Abigaba Kakonge at the ministry’s head office in Kampala.
Senior Public Relations officer for the health ministry Emmanuel Ainebyona said the awards were gratefully received by health workers and appreciated Airtel Uganda for the support the company has rendered towards the fight against COVID-19 in Uganda including a donation of call centers for covid-19 operations and much more.
In April, Airtel Uganda also contributed 1.2BN shillings to the Ministry of Health towards the Coronavirus response on top of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for frontline medical workers.
Uganda has so far registered 9442 confirmed covid-19 cases ever since the pandemic was first announced in the country in March 2020. Of these, 5781 recovered from the infection while 85 succumbed to the coronavirus.
Statistical data from covid19.gou.go.ug, an online portal also shows a sharp increase in confirmed case in the last seven weeks with 9442 patients currently in admission of which 182 are new admissions. No one is in intensive care unit according to the stats.
The Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary, Dr.Diana Atwine applauded the company for the gesture.
“Right from the time the outbreak began, Airtel has been with us. They have been supporting our policies and messages, helping disseminate the right information to our people, opened special channels for donations, and so much more and we are grateful for the support,” she noted.
To advertise on this website or send a story for publishing please call 070160990 or send mail to [email protected]